The name of Tartu’s “Toome Hill” is derived from the “Toomkirik” or Toom Cathedral of the area’s bishopric. For that time the cathedral was truly massive, being the largest religious building in all of the Liivimaa territory. Building of the cathedral began in the 13th century and was completed in 15th century as a triple-aisled basilica. In the course of the Reformation and Livonian War the church was damaged. The fire of 1624 completed the destruction. In 1807 the university library was built into the choral room of the church, which was housed there until 1982. Now the Tartu University History Museum is located there, and observing platforms have been renovated in the tower ruins.