The year of birth of St. Peter's congregations is 1869. St. Peter's Church was consecrated in 1884. This pseudogothic imposing building was built pursuant to a design by E. Schröder. The location was symbolic of the time of the Estonian awakening: in the proximity of the square where the first general Estonian song festival took place. The church was finally completed in 1903, when the freshly finished 55- metre chief tower and four corner towers were consecrated. A 22- register organ and the altar painting, "Dying Christ" (by J. Köler), were finished in the 1890's. Both church bells have been cast in Gatsina near St. Petersburg.