(Left, from the top) Town flag and gargoyle on the Town Hall facade. Clock on the wall of the Holy Ghost Church. Town Hall Prison. (Center) Town Hall. (Right, from the top) Town Hall Pharmacy. Saiakang Street.
In the Middle Ages, this manor, which was first mentioned in 1510, belonged to Tallinn Cistercian Nunnery. Later, it was associated with the von der Pahlen noble family for a long time. The two-storey main building was completed in 1697; its current look originates from rebuilding in the 18th century. There is a magnificent park on the grounds of the manor and numerous valuable outbuildings.
The most important tourist sight in the only town of the county, Kuressaare (up to 1917 Arensburg) is the bishopric castle. Among the medieval castles in the Baltic countries this is the one that has survived best. The castle was built of chiselled dolomite blocks in the late 14th century. The basic plan of the building is a square with sides 43 metres. There are two towers on the northen side of the building: The Watch Tower, also called Tall Herman, and the Defence Tower or Sturvolt. The entrance to the castle is also situated on the northen side. In the centre of the building there is a quadrangular courtyard, surrounded by a vaulted gallery, so called cloister on the first and second floors.
Mihkli farm depicts a typical West Saaremaa farm. Most of the buildings date to the middle of the 18th century. Almost all of the items on display have been made by the six generations of family who lived here. The farm consists of a family dwelling (the log house with no foundation), a threshing barn/dwelling, a "wheel house" where woodowrk was carried on and the farm's wheeled wagons were stored, a smithy, a summer kitchen, two storage barns, and a smoke sauna. A windmill is located a few hundred meters distant.